Senior School Arts and Culture
We offer girls a rich and diverse range of cultural activities encompassing music; dramatic and creative arts; debating and public speaking. Awards are available for achievement in each of these areas.
- Drama is compulsory in Grades 8 and 9
- It can be taken as a subject from Grades 10 to 12
- Interhouse competitions in drama, dance and choreography
- Annual senior school play or musical
- Group excursions to the theatre are regularly arranged
- Open to all senior school learners
- Term 1: interschool public speaking competitions organised by the Speech and Drama College of South Africa. There are team events for each grade, as well as the prestigious individual public speaking competition in which one Grade 12 student is entered
- Term 2: interschool friendly competition and interhouse event
- Term 3: Bedfordview Eisteddfod hosted by the National Eisteddfod Academy. Our own Best Speaker Competition ends the year on a high note
- Requires a deep understating of current affairs and a willingness to spend hours researching
- Girls have started participating in the Atheneum League
- A popular subject choice in Grades 10 to 12. Girls produce outstanding work and are often invited to exhibit at special events.
- The art club may be joined by girls in Grades 8 and 9
- The music department promotes a love and appreciation of music and provides a sound foundation for those wishing to study it further. There is enormous scientific research which has been done all over the world to prove that learning music improves and enhances cognitive and social skills.
- Music is offered as a National Senior Certificate subject.
- Talented musicians may apply for limited scholarships on offer.
- Girls may learn to play a variety of musical instruments.
- Girls perform at the many functions hosted by the junior and senior schools.
- Girls have the option to join, among others, the marimba band, choir and orchestra.
- The annual interhouse music competition for senior and junior girls is judged by an external adjudicator.
Viebz, a contemporary music competition, is hosted by St Andrew’s in conjunction with Lovemore Music. This competition is open to any pupil from Grades 6 to 12 from any school in Gauteng. Application forms are available from the music department.