JUNIOR SCHOOL HOUSES
Athlone House was introduced in 1947 and is named after Alexander Cambridge, 1st Earl of Athlone (1874-1959). He was appointed by King Edward VII as the fourth Governor-General of the Union of South Africa in 1923.
Farrar House was founded in 1985 and named after Sir George Herbert Farrar (1859-1915), the former owner of Bedford Farm. St Andrew’s School moved to Bedford Farm in 1921 after Miss Jean Fletcher had purchased a portion of the farm when it was offered for sale following Sir George’s death. George Herbert Farrar, came to his uncle’s engineering firm in Port Elizabeth from Britain in 1879 but by 1887 he and his brothers were established in Johannesburg. He was knighted in 1902 for his military services during the Boer War and went on to distinguish himself as a mining magnate and politician. He commissioned well-known architect, Sir Herbert Baker, to design the grand homestead on Bedford Farm where he lived with his wife and six daughters.
Milner House was one of the two early school houses. It was named after Alfred Milner, first Viscount Milner (1854-1925), a British civil servant who was the first Administrator of the Transvaal and Orange River Colonies. He was in office when St Andrew’s School was founded. Lord Milner had previously served the British government as Governor of the Cape Colony and High Commissioner for Southern Africa (May 1987-1901). He laid the foundation stone for Sir George Farrar’s new homestead on Bedford Farm on 10 May 1903.
Selborne House was one of the two early school houses and was named after William Palmer, second Earl of Selborne, (1859-1942). He was a British administrator who succeeded Lord Milner as High Commissioner for Southern Africa and served as Governor of the Transvaal and Orange River Colonies from 1905-1907.